Learn how to make this elegant dish of stacked scallops topped with crispy pancetta surrounded by scattered crisp sage and an artistic smudge of smooth creamy cauliflower puree. The scallops were perfectly seared with bouncy texture as you bite into it and smeared with the silky smooth cauliflower puree and the crispy pancetta and sage, your taste buds will go wild with a dance in my mouth!
16 scallops – roe on or off
1/2 bunch of sage
3 slices of pancetta
truffle oil ( optional)
salt & pepper
1. Prepare the cauliflower by removing the florets. Try not to have too much stalk.
2. Boil in water until soft and there is no bite to it.
3. While hot, put the boiled cauliflower into food processor. Add cream while blending the cauliflower. Season to taste and add water if necessary to get a perfect,smooth consistency.
4. Pick the sage and fry in hot oil until it stops bubbling. Strain on paper towel.
5. Lay the pancetta flat on a baking tray and place under the grill until browned. The pancetta will begin to crisp up upon standing.
6. Prepare the scallops by removing the muscle on the side.
7. Add a little oil on a hot pan. Season the scallops on both sides and add to the pan. After a minute, turn and cook for another minute.
8. Serve the scallops on a bed of cauliflower puree and pancetta and sage on the top. Garnish with truffle oil.
Coat the scallops with oil first before frying so that the scallops are not drowned in oil . Be patient and wait for the scallop to cook before turning over to the other side. For a perfect seared scallop, touch the scallop to feel the ‘bounce’. The fire should be medium-high with a tinge of smoke for a crisp brown crust while maintaining tender and creamy inside.